Re: Double letters in Boston-market calls

DonKelley@aol.com wrote:

>I was PD at a station with triple calls:  WYYY/Syracuse.  Y94FM.  There was (maybe still is) a WXXX (95 Triple X) in Burlington, NH.

There are still triple calls out there.  WJJJ/Pittsburgh, WCCC/Hartford,
WHHH/Indianapolis, WBBB/Charlotte (I think--maybe Raleigh.) There was a
WIII up in the Albany area several years back. I also remember an AM in
CT that used WMMM.  I'm sure there are others in smaller markets.

>WWWW was a Detroit station for many years.  It was known as W4. When quad stereo was introduced in the 70's they tried it, and had a mascot called Quadzilla.  Just FYI, if you try to go to what their website would have been (www.wwww.com) you get a German consulting firm.

I read somewhere that the WWWW calls are parked on a class A suburban FM
that rimshots Detroit and runs a country format, but is not owned by one
of the major groups.

Mike Thomas