Re: WSRS ( W1XOJ )

OK, but when did the calls become WSRS? I don't believe in the 1960s. I am
absolutely 100% positive that the original calls were WTAG-FM and I think they
remained so for quite a long time. Now if you are saying that the Telegram and
Gazette built and operated WTAG-FM for a number of years but Norman Knight
bought the frequency and built a new-from-the-ground-up facility in the same
general area and named it WSRS (FM), I could believe THAT.

Back in the 40s, there was an FM station in Paxton (owned, I believe, by
General Tire and Rubber) with the calls WGTR. Thus, John Garbedian's WGTR 1060
in Natick was not the first WGTR in the area. My understanding is that the
first WGTR was part of the network that Major Armstrong and John Sheppard built
to link Alpine NJ with Mt Washington via over-the-air station-to-station relay.
I believe the signals went from Alpine to the mountain whose name I forget near
Meriden CT--south of Hartford, to Paxton, to Mt Washington. I think the
objective was for Yankee Network stations to pick up the network feeds from FM,
thus saving the AT&T line charges--as well as providing improved audio fidelity.

--
dan.strassberg@att.net
617-558-4205