Re: WSRS ( W1XOJ )

There was intense competition for the CP to build Channel 5 in Boston. One of
the applicants was CBS, which wanted to build WEEI-TV on Channel 5. This was
years before WBZ moved its TV transmitter to Needham. CBS, which withdrew from
the competition before the CP for the old WHDH-TV was awarded to the Herald,
was THE FIRST company to propose building a tall TV tower in the Newton-Needham-
Route 128 area. WBZ's first tall(ish) tower was on Soldiers' Field Rd, WNAC-TV
was in Medford, and WGBH-TV was in Milton. I imagine that if Channel 5 had
first been licensed to Worcester, its original site would have been Asnebumskit
Hill in Paxton, but before too many years had gone by, it would have moved to
the Newton-Needham area and would have become a Boston station in all but name.
Does anyone else remember when Storer Broadcasting was going to buy Channel 9
in Manchester NH and move it to a tall tower, which it proposed building in
Georgetown MA? Who said that move-ins were a 90s thing? The proposed WMUR move
must date back 50 years or more.

--
dan.strassberg@att.net
617-558-4205