Re: WSRS ( W1XOJ )

At 02:18 PM 7/9/2003, dan.strassberg@att.net wrote:
>I think it's kind of ironic that the Worcester FM station that probably could
>move closer to Boston if it wanted to (WSRS) apparently isn't interested in
>moving (yes, I know that WATD is in the way). Meanwhile, WAAF, which can't
>move
>very far in this direction because both WXKS-FM and WMJX are third adjacent,
>wants to move.

Could it be their lack of a desire to move be related to the fact that WSRS
is the local primary (LP) for EAS in Worcester county and surrounding
community?

FWIW, assuming they do not change patterns, WSRS is as close to Boston as
they're going to get - you're right, WATD is square in the way and just
eyeballing the contours their 54dBu and 60dBu contours are kissing each
other both ways.  Maybe WSRS could move north and east, and switch to a
directional antenna...but it probably wouldn't gain them much.  WATD's
50dBu contour covers most of Boston proper...no matter what WSRS does
(besides change frequency) they are not going to have a terribly viable
Boston signal.   Why sacrifice a solid Worcester-area signal for a useless
Boston-area signal?

WAAF on the other hand, has no first-adjacent problems getting into
Boston...so they *could* have a viable Boston signal after the move to
Westborough.  I think they'll still have serious multipath issues - even
the Needham stations do - but it'll be pretty good in the non-downtown city
areas.

I've also wondered why WAAF doesn't try for a on-channel booster (actually
a translator..."booster" refers to a transmitter within your 60dBu contour)
in downtown, and tailor it so the interference zone is over Natick or
Weston or something.  Similar to WUMB.   On-channel boosters can be a real
pain in the ass to configure, but WAAF's goal is - as far as I can tell -
to keep a hefty signal in Worcester and still get a good Boston signal,
too.   The idea could work, the adjacency rules are more lax for
boosters/translators than for full-power stations.