RE: Double letters in Boston-market calls

On 8 Jul 2003 at 21:35, dan.strassberg@att.net wrote:

> Well, I don't recall 740 simulcasting WXHR-FM 96.9, but I do recall a
> short period when 740 had the WXHR (AM) calls.

When the AM calls became WXHR, the FM calls became WXHR-FM, and the two stations
simulcasted classical music.  They broadcast from the FM transmitter sight on Zion
Mountain in Woburn.  I remember visiting the station at some time, probably in the summer
of 1965, shortly after the change.  Over the board was a sign reminding people that the FM
call was now WXHR-FM.  The AM was still a daytimer in those days, so the FM continued
alone after sunset.

One of the announcers on WXHR in the early 1960s was Robert J. Lurtsema.