Re: Boston Globe Online / City & Region / TV battle for July 4th

At 02:36 AM 7/2/2003, Sean Smyth wrote:
>Hakin Madjid wrote:
> > When the 4th of July Pops thing was on WCBV,
> > I think WCRB did simulcasts?
>
>Not at all. WCRB did its own program with Dave O'Neill (?). In fact, it's
>only been in recent years that WCRB actually aired the "background music"
>piped out during the fireworks; for years, they would selectively program
>classical pieces they felt best went along with a fireworks display.

I believe last year the show was aired on WERS and WCRB picked it up
off-air and rebroadcast it, as opposed to using ISDN (which often had
last-minute problems over the years).  I think the talent for the show and
everything was run out of WERS but was run as if it were a WCRB
show.   Certainly WERS has the facilities for it...and they are
conveniently closer.

I don't know for sure...I don't much bother listening during the fireworks
and I got tired of spending all day baking on the Esplanade so now I go to
BBQ's elsewhere and by 10pm I'm usually too hammered to pay much
attention.  :-)