Re: Boston Globe Online / City & Region / TV battle for July 4th

From: "Hakim Madjid" <hmadjid@yahoo.com>

> Another thing that's being screwed up is that our
> friends on Soldier's Field Road, are simulcasting
> audio of this event on WBZ 1030. This is one
> of the worst broadcasting decisions made in the
> boston area so far this year, IMHO. 99.999% of
> the radio listening audience doesn't posess AM
> gear that outputs anything approaching quality
> audio.

Any loss in quality will be made up in "Reach".

Second, most people will be listening on portables.

Third, the type of person who is listening to this broadcast is not looking
for quality as much as a 'connection' to what is happenning at the
Esplanade.

Fourth, WBZ is live and local news.  And that's what this event is.

I don't agree that it is one of the worst decisions in programming this
year.  If I was the executive at Boston/Infinity making the decision...I'd
do the same thing.

And prior to WCRB airing it...I seem to recall a fight between WBZ and WHDH
years ago. (To the point where when one station got to air it...the other
re-ran last years broadcast to smite/spite them.)