WITS (was: Fenway Park)

Kevin wrote:
>Sometime around 1980 WITS left Broadway and moved back to the old
>Brookline Ave studio which BTW now used by NESN.
>WITS was run in Boston by a Joe Scanlon and I seem to faintly recall there
>was a tie in with WLW in Cincinnati but I can't recollect what it was.

Ah yes, good old WITS with the most bizarre signal in the history of
humanity... I worked for them briefly in 1981 when their efforts to boost
power resulted in everyone in Belmont and Waltham picking up the station on
electric blankets, toothbrushes, and toasters as well as on many
telephones-- the RFI was such a public relations disaster!  When I was
there, Bob Richer was the GM-- he is still in radio somewhere.  WITS was
the first local station to air vodka ads, as I recall (in the spring of
1982, if I recall correctly).  Pat Whitley worked for the station for a
while, but then, didn't he work almost everywhere?  The station abandoned
talk in mid October of 1982.  Mariner Communications, which owned it, took
it nostalgia (WMRE) and then went bankrupt in 1984 and sold it.  At one
time, Mariner had owned about 5 stations, some of which were in the
midwest, but I don't recall exactly where-- I don't think they owned WLW,
but anything is possible.  I'll check my files.