Re: Donna gets heard - and seen! (on Nightline, of course)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kevin Vahey" <kvahey@tmail.com>
To: "Dan Billings" <billings@suscom-maine.net>; <bri@bostonradio.org>
Sent: Thursday, May 29, 2003 12:14 AM
Subject: Re: Donna gets heard - and seen! (on Nightline, of course)

> Locally you need look no further than the Worcester fire of 1999.
>
> You need somebody at the studio especially if you controlling more than
> one signal.

Read Scott's column.  He correctly points out that in "the good old days",
the local station would have been off the air in the middle of the night.

I do think it makes sense to have an operator on duty.  Even the best
automation systems can screw up.  It makes good sense to have an operator in
teh building doing production overnight to keep an eye on things.  That's
what at least one company in the Portland market does.

-- Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine