Re: Fwd: MEDIA BLITZ BY JOHN MOLORI, 5/13/03

Kevin Vahey writes:
> There have been wispers that Viacom in getting the 30 off air games also
> wanted the same deal the Yankees and YES struck with WCBS.

I didn't think the WCBS-TV and WCBS deals were negotiated together.

> Why would Viacom send Brudnoy to the pullpen? Simple MONEY. Brudnoy does
> not command the rate card the Sox would. The Bruins bring big bucks in
> to WBZ and getting the Sox would be like opening the vault.

And WBZ wouldn't be able to pull in any $$$ in that slot on non-Sox and
non-Bruins nights.

> The Sox ARE looking at seeing if buying their own station and making it
> NESN Radio with talk in non game times that they could package to
> smaller markets would be viable. My hunch is 590 could be the station in
> play as Salem could meet its needs with 1150.

Where are they gonna get the money? The ownership morgaged everything but
their first-born when they bought the team.

> The Red Sox believe they are the most important radio property in town
> and in a local sense they are correct. Joe and Jerry nail every
> demographic there is. Stern listeners and little ol ladies all listen to
> the Sox.

IMO Joe and Jerry need to go.