Re: AM Station Interference with a Medical Device

Hmmmm, good question:
    This is a tough situation.  I experienced a
similar situation at another AM'er station. Many years
ago, while working with another station, we were
notified that our AM signal was interfering with a
Medical Equipment company located within a few hundred
yards of our transmitting towers.  Legally, we had no
obligation to do anything about it as the site has
been operating for nearly 40 years and was totally
within spec. The Med. company had only been operating
for a year or so. HOWEVER, we did the RIGHT thing and
traced where the RF was getting into their equipment.
For us, it was "airborne", not through the power
mains.  Our engineer used some "chicken wire" above
the ceiling area and was able to notch out the RF.
RFI elimination is not an exact science.  Every
installation is a little different.  Eventhough we had
no real obligation do this, we wanted to be a good
neighbor and did what we could do to alleviate the
problem.  It worked.
   I would try to talk to the engineer on a one-to-one
basis and see if something can be done to alleviate
the problem.  Interference to, say for example, a
person's VCR is one thing, but when you're dealing
with human life... that's another.  Good luck and keep
us posted. 73.

Peter Q. George (K1XRB)
Whitman, Massachusetts

=====