Re: AM Station Interference with a Medical Device

Scott: I think you've got WUNR confused with WRCA. Both have two-tower
arrays protecting New York City. In 1977, after WHAZ Troy had gone from
share-timer to daytimer, WRCA (then WHET) replaced its three-tower array
(200' towers), which protected both Troy and New York City (share-timers
WEVD and WPOW then operating from separate sites), with the current
two-tower array (300' towers guy-wire top-loaded to almost 180 degrees),
which protects only New York. I think this move was paid for by WEVD, which
wanted to move it Tx from Queens to the WPOW (or was it already WNYM?) site
on Staten Island. But the S.I. location caused more nighttime interfernece
to Boston. WHET got improved daytime coverage in return for accepting the
higher level of nigttime interference during more of the nighttime hours.
The nighttime interference was later substantially reduced when the by-then
full-time WNYM (now WWRV) moved to the WWDJ site in Hackensack.

As far as I know, WUNR has been running 5 kW DA-1 from a two-tower array
(200-degree sticks) since the station signed on as WVOM in 1947 or 1948. One
or both towers have been replaced over the years. There was a massive
multi-bay FM antenna for WBOS-FM (later WBOS (FM)) on one of the towers and
that tower was replaced more than a decade ago, but with the possible
exception of a very slight change in the tower height, I'm unaware of any
change in the AM operation over the years.

Of course, if the combined WKOX, WUNR, WRCA operation is ever built at the
WUNR site, all that will change. You might have advised the writer to just
wait ;>). The move of WRCA and WKOX to Saw Mill Brook Parkway coupled with a
big power increase for WUNR would necessitate that the stations satisfy all
complaints of interference within the 1V/m contours. If the writer is close
enough to the site, the stations would be responsible for resolving the
problem. Somehow, however, I doubt that that course of action will ever be
available to the writer.

--
Dan Strassberg, dan.strassberg@att.net
617-558-4205, eFax 707-215-6367