Re: Pop Songs In Commercials

> From: "Dan Billings" <billings@suscom-maine.net>
> Date:  Mon, 12 May 2003 16:58:00 -0400
> "rogerkirk" wrote:
> >>Toyota is using "Get The Party Started" by Pink
> >>and GMC used what sounded like a sound-alike >>remake of a Meatloaf
tune.

> Dan Billings responded:
> >I think the Meatloaf tune is the real song.
>
> It's quite possible.  It all happened so quickly, I was driving at the
time and Route 495 @ Route 93 traffic demands more than cursory attention to
detail.  I shall listen again.

I'm pretty sure it is because "sound alikes" need to be disclaimed or the
commercial could result in legal action for appropriation of Meat's
likeness.  Bette Midler won a suit based on sound like commercial several
years ago.

I don't have any problem with songs used in commercials.  I think the
artistic integrity is only damaged if the song is changed for the
commercial.

-- Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine