Re: Bob Ryan suspended one month

----- Original Message -----
From: "SteveOrdinetz" <steveord@bit-net.com>
To: <bri@bostonradio.org>
Sent: Wednesday, May 07, 2003 1:38 PM
Subject: Re: Bob Ryan suspended one month

> Still, it's sad that we live in such politically correct times where we
> must be so careful how we phrase anything we say lest someone with a thin
> skin be offended.

Maybe, but free speech is a two way street.  Bob Ryan has a right to say
what he wants and the Globe has a right not to have him work for them if
they don't like what he says.  The same with the Dixie Chicks  -- they can
criticize the President and others can criticize them or refuse to play
their music.  All the First Amendment guarantees is that the government will
not interfere with your ability to speak.  You can say whatever you would
like but others are free not to associate with you due to your statements.
Thin skinned people have a right to be offended.  If they try to pass laws
to keep you from saying something they find offensive that is a whole
different story.

I have always found it odd that certain words are banned from broadcasts --
no matter what the context.  But someone can go on TV and suggest something
truly dangerous (that women who get out of line should be hit) and that's
OK.  I wouldn't suggest an FCC regulation banning such statements but to me,
statements like Ryan's are more objectionable than a few dirty words on a
radio show.

-- Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine