automation, part 2

Thanks for the replies.  The article is for Radio Guide, and I am curious
about one more thing-- those of you who are NOT engineers, especially.  Did
anybody elicit your opinions or input before the automation equipment was
purchased, or did you just walk in one day and there it was?  Who was the
decision-maker, in other words, and did he or she listen to your concerns
before the purchase was made?  Again, I don't need to quote you if you'd
prefer to speak off the record!  I am not looking to insult anyone-- just
trying to see who decides about these things and how the decision impacts
those who may have to use the system...