Fwd: Re: WNSH--most powerful North Shore AM?

>DATE: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 11:36:39
>From: Dan.Strassberg@att.net
>To: Bob Nelson <raccoonradio@yahoo.com>
>Cc:boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org
>As usual, 100,000watts is wrong. (Despite the fact that the site is >now
>maintained by the normally scrupulously accurate Scott Fybush, >errors abound
>there.) At least six months ago, WNSH discovered that it could not >make its new
>500W night facilities work, and applied for and was granted >authority to remain
>a class D AM with some really low nondirectional power at night. I >don't
>remember the night power, but I believe it is way less than 100W-->maybe 16W or
>8W. Should the CRTC ever grant a new station to replace the long->dark CKLM
>Laval (Montreal) PQ, WNSH's night service will become totally >useless and the
>station will be forced to sign off at sunset because the signal will >receive
>severe interference--even if the listener and his portable radio >stand on the
>quite inadequate ground system.

Several years ago I went to a testimonial-type dinner at Benjamin's Restaurat
in Taunton, Mass.  I decided to make it a combined chow-down and antenna
check of WPEP-AM 1570 in Taunton.  This was at night well after
sunset, and I believe CKLM was on-the-air.  I was able to receive WPEP at night
for several miles, 4 or 5 maybe, after I left the WPEP tower site,
which is practically in the back yard of an apartment building.
I thought to myself that at night at least, the occupants of
that building had their own radio station!
So if WPEP got a few miles at night, WNSH might be able to do the same.
And has anyone checked out WVBF-AM 1530's two-watts signal ay night
in Middleboro?

Laurence Glavin