Re: Ken Shelton let go by WROR

Howard Glazer wrote:
>That's too bad. I listened to what turned out to be his last "Coffee
>with Ken" show on Sunday and he gave no indication that he wouldn't be
>back.

Maybe because he didn't know?

>I wish ROR had given its "greatest rock 'n' roll ever recorded" approach
>more than one book to catch on before flipping to an ultra-safe classic
>hits format. I realize that conventional wisdom dictates that "playing
>the variety card" is the road to ratings ruin, but I really enjoyed
>those "bootleg blocks" and other interesting stuff ROR was doing last
>fall and early winter.

Alas, this approach seems to only appeal to music and/or radio heads.  Most
listeners tune into an oldies station (be it "traditional" oldies or
classic rock) for comfortable, familiar songs not obscure album cuts that
no one who didn't buy the album would know.  Perhaps hard for some of us to
believe and/or accept but a large percentage of classic rock listeners
consider Steve Miller's "Jet Airliner" to be an "oh wow" song.  My guess is
that 'most any oldies station that tried this approach got burned by it.