Fwd: Re: Channel 9 to Boston

>DATE: Wed, 09 Apr 2003 01:02:01
>From: Dan.Strassberg@att.net
>To: <rogerkirk@mail.ttlc.net>
>Cc:"rogerkirk" <rogerkirk@mail.ttlc.net>,"BRI"  <boston-radio->interest@bostonradio.org>;
>Can anyone identify the time frame with greater precision, the >company that
>proposed the move, and the North Shore community that the company >proposed as
>the new COL. (It WAS NOT one of the larger communities, such as >Beverly; I
>think it was a community close to Rowley, but not Rowley.) If I >recall, there
>were technical considerations that made a move all the way to Boston
>impossible. I think the issue was minimum spacing to Channel 10 in >Providence.
>This proposal was made decades before NIMBYism became an "in" thing, >so I think
>the 1000+-ft tower might just have been possible in that affluent >
>suburban area.

I don't have any definitive documentation, but the few brain cells that haven't
been ravaged by Sam Adams and Jack Daniels dredged up this item from my memory bank:
the proposed transmitter site was in Georgetown, Mass...
this town is now fairly affluent indeed but was a mostly rural town then.
A "major" TV station did make its home there for a whilE, WMFP-TV
channel 62 started out on a hill in that town. Its most memorable
show was a cigar-chomping preacher!

Laurence Glavin