RE: My Research on Minot, ND

At 03:10 PM 4/8/2003 +0000, dan.strassberg@att.net wrote:
>KFYR is one of those legendary 5-kW AMs with MONSTER signals because of
>the low
>dial position (550) combined with the incredible soil conductivity of the
>northern plains. However, KFYR is licensed to Bismarck--not Minot. It
>would not
>surprise me at all if you were 100 miles from Bismarck and still found
>KFYR to
>come in like a local. I believe that people routinely listen to the station
>more than 200 miles from Bismarck--at least during the daytime.
>--

Day pattern:
http://www.radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pat?call=KFYR&service=AM&status=L&hours=D
Night pattern:
http://www.radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pat?call=KFYR&service=AM&status=L&hours=N

Yes, I know it's Radio Locator and thus quite possibly inaccurate.  But if
it's right, that is one hell of a signal...directional, yes, but on average
the protected contour reaches about 120-130 miles.  The transmitter is
apparently just east of Bismarck, and yet Minot is well within the contour
both day and night.    WBZ eat your heart out!  :-)