Re: WBUR takes on Clear Channel

----- Original Message -----
From: "Aaron Read" <aread@speakeasy.net>
To: "Dan Billings" <billings@suscom-maine.net>; <bri@bostonradio.org>
Sent: Tuesday, April 01, 2003 3:41 PM
Subject: Re: WBUR takes on Clear Channel

> An NPR PD has complete freedom to air what shows...and even what
individual
> segments within a show...of NPR shows they want to (within reason in
> regards to contractual obligations).   And if they feel NPR is a little
> biased, they can air another show that presents an alternate view if they
> so desire.

What could happen in theory and what actually happens in practice are two
different things.

A better example than NPR is the television networks where most stations
juts turn the programming over to the network for most of the day.  I don't
think it would make an significant difference in programming if the networks
owned all their affiliates.

-- Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine