RE: WATD

>Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2003 18:56:42 +0000
>From: Dan.Strassberg@att.net
>Subject: Re: WATD
>
> .. WATD is not generally listenable in these parts because first-adjacent
> WSRS is so much stronger. The other first-adjacent, from Manchester NH is
> not normally a problem.
>
>dan.strassberg@att.net

> > I had occasion to drive out to Lexington this evening, and I was
> > surprised to find that WATD's signal sounded pretty good that far
> > from Marshfield on my car radio.

I've also heard WATD clearly in the Lexinton area, especially in areas
with a fairly clear vista toward the south, but it doesn't come in clearly
much farther west or north of that.

With the Pioneer Supertuner in my car, the WSRS interference becomes a
problem for WATD very shortly after crossing west of Route 128, and WZID
95.7 interference becomes an issue north of Burlington. It splatters all
over WATD by Billerica.

The problem I have listening to WATD here in Somerville is Prudential
intermodulation. My home digital receivers and analog or digital portables
(Walkmans and boom-boxes) get a mix of primarily WTKK and WROR messing with
WATD, and sometimes WZLX, WBCN, WMJX and/or WBOS may be buried in the mess.

My big old analog receivers from the early 70's (a Marantz and a Sansui)
aren't fazed by the Pru at all and get WATD here in clean, clear stereo.
They reject that Pru interference beautifully while still getting great
reception on both out-of-town stations and the weakest college stations.

Eli Polonsky

http://mail2web.com/ .