Re: WWRX 103.7 "severed" from the FNX Radio Network

At 12:52 PM 3/21/2003 -0500, Sean Smyth wrote:
>Aaron Read writes:
> > Odd...I was under the impression that WWRX was a relatively cheap
> > acquisition for FNX, was cheap to operate, and was bringing in decent
>money?
>
>Far-fetched scenario: Mindich sells off the other stations, keeps WWRX,
>sells 101.7 and 101.3 to Clear Channel, which in turn flips them into
>WGIR-FM relays.
>
>If anything, Mindich would be keeping 103.7 (which I never understood how he
>got it so cheap, with such a killer signal) and selling the other stations.

Pretty far-fetched...even though WFNX's Boston penetration isn't great,
it's still pretty decent.

If it was sold, though, I would think CBS would put up a hell of a fight to
get it, since WFNX is currently the only competition to WBCN these days
(WAAF is too weak in Boston proper to really be that much of a contender in
my reasoning).   Not that WFNX is any real competition to WBCN, something
they might finally be learning after 10 years of trying to be "WBCN with a
weaker signal"