Re: Sean McDonough and Boston's sports radio scene

Dan Strassberg writes:
> You left out BOTH of Mega's AMs (890 and 1150) unless you figure that a
station > must have some kind of daytime signal in the Merrimac Valley to
make your list.

I was talking about facilities that cover most of the market. Yes, that
includes the valley.

> And you also left out 1430 and 1510, which cover the market pretty well by
day.

1510 is the station being discussed about (potentially) tanking, so I left
them out of the equation. 1430 is a good one to note, though I was trying to
rack up stations that have respectable day and night signals. 1430 might get
10 miles at night. (I probably lived six miles from their transmitter, if
that, by air at night and couldn't get the signal for anything.)

> And since you counted 950, which is officially a daytimer, you probably
need to
> include 1060, which is a also daytimer but has a CP for nights that will
expire
> in September if they don't do something in a hurry.

But they (1060) can't reach half the market, including Boston proper, at
night ...

> Then there are 1330 and
> 1600. 1330 in particular has quite a good signal in most of the market by
day
> (but won't have if they ever build their CP, move to Newton, raise their
power,
> and send the signal into a handbasket). Oh, and part of that project is
moving
> WKOX to Newton and upgrading it to 50 kW-U.

Again, I was trying to run through stations that had respectable night
signals (albeit with some decent-sized holes, nonetheless ones that could be
somewhat tolerated) along with far-reaching daytime signals. 1330 seems to
be the better signal of the two, though it's still somewhat substandard
compared to the others originally mentioned.