Re: Tighter DAs at night than day

Decades ago, KFAX 1100 in San Francisco, like many heritage Class Ds on
the west coast, was a limited-time station. (WTAM did not operate 24/7 and KFAX
would sign on when WTAM was off--usually from something like 10:05 PM to 2:00
AM Pacific time. KFAX would also sign on at Cleveland sunrise, which was never
later than 5:00 AM Pacific time.) KFAX operated for years with 1 kW-L from a
rooftop antenna somewhere in downtown San Francisco. Then, years before the
clear channels were broken down and KFAX was granted 50 kW-U DA-1, KFAX was
granted 50 kW-D DA-D, but its operation before San Francisco sunrise and after
San Francisco sunset was still limited to 1 kW ND from that same rooftop. So
KFAX or maybe a similar station, KFVD 1020 in LA, or maybe KXL 750 in Portland
OR, might have been the first station or stations to operate with 50 kW DA-D
and 1 kW ND at night.

Higher power nights than days is now quite common. KFMB 760 in San Diego runs 5
kW-D/50 kW-N DA-N. The reason that KFMB is stuck with 5 kW D is that the cost
of buying KBRT 740 in Avalon and taking it dark is prohibitive. When the clears
were broken down, what was then KBIG applied to move from 740 to 830. It would
have been a phenomenal facility--the day site could have remained on Catalina
and the night site would have been on the mainland--but the FCC granted 830 to
another applicant.

If you've been in LA, you know that KCBS is local there at night. However, KBRT
has an authorization for a few watts at night. I understand that they use it
too--to cover Catalina Island. KCBS's signal there must be close to 25 mV/m on
many nights, so KBRT probably doesn't even cover the entire island at night.
HUGE daytime signal though--at least until KCBS's daytime skywave starts to eat
it up toward dusk.

--
dan.strassberg@att.net
617-558-4205