RE: Is Sporting News Radio dead?

But in defense of radio-locator (which I don't often defend), the WSNR
situation is unusual--if not unique. The demolished Livingston site is still
the licensed site for reasons I've discussed in earlier posts. The FCC has
apparently agreed to regard the Lyndhurst site as temporary. OTOH, the FCC
seems to be taking its own sweet time in acting on WSNR's application to move
back west to a site about 3 km north of the old Livingston site but with seven
towers days and four night using 8.5 kW-D/5 kW-N DA-2.

WSNR must be the most hemmed-in AM in the US. The new arrays really go deep
into AM DA designers' bag of tricks. For example, all of the towers are--I
believe--the same physical height, but their electrical height is all over the
map thanks to varying degrees of guy-wire top loading. This appears to be an
attempt to tweak the vertical radiation pattern (at least of the night array)
to keep the skywave at various critical angles from causing excessive
interference to a large number of stations. The one case where I know something
similar was tried (the AM 1110 in LA tried it to protect KFAB), it failed
completely.

Maybe that's why the FCC is dragging its heels. Maybe the Mass Media Bureau
hopes that if it doesn't act, WSNR will give up and accept a license for its
really inferior Lyndhurst operation.
--
dan.strassberg@att.net
617-558-4205