Church bells

Now, you may think this topic might be a stretch for this board, but wait
til you see how I tie it in ;-)
Governor Romney on Saturday  asked churches in Massachusetts to toll
their bells for each of the victims that died in The Station Cafe
nightclub fire. (The Gov's office faxed a statement to WBUR that asked
churches to do this, I didn't see it on the wire prior to my leaving for
the evening at 6pm)   My house sits between two Catholic Churches (within
walking distance of both) and my wife tells me she did not hear any bells
tolling at noon.   Is this another example of how radio these days can no
longer serve the public?  Many stations as you know VT on weekends, so am
I to assume that outside of a couple of stations that are still live, or
that bothered to check their fax machines no one mentioned the request
because the VT's were already laid down for the weekend?  (we can count
on one hand the number of stations that have news on weekends in Mass)
How was the response in RI where a smiliar request was made?
df