Re: Simulcast question

At 12:33 PM 2/25/2003 -0500, Garrett Wollman wrote:
><<On Tue, 25 Feb 2003 07:07:07 -0800, "pete lee" <sunshine@angelfire.com>
>said:
>
> >  Before WBCS and WKLB merged their country formats, they ran what
> >  Garrett then-called an "illegal simulcast" for a month or two. Is
> >  this practice indeed illegal? I just discovered a similar situation
> >  Sunday...
>
>I do not know if the rules still probihit it -- quite possibly not.
>It did use to be the case, however, that simulcasting was prohibited
>between two stations *in the same band* whose contours substantially
>overlapped.
>
>-GAWollman

How do/did stations like WGBH, WUMB and WBUR get around a restriction like
that?  Does carrying network programming but having local breaks (i.e.
during Morning Edition and ATC) make it "not a simulcast"?   Or is it more
that there's only about 20-30 hours a week of shared programming?

BTW, virtually all of WVEI's contours are overlapped by WEEI's **  Granted,
only about 1/3 to 1/2 of WVEI's protected contour is overlapped by WEEI's
protected.   I could certainly see if that doesn't qualify as "substantial".

** According to www.Radio-locator.com, which we all know how high a regard
Garrett holds the info there :-)