Re: Cocoanut Grove

>I'd be suspicious of any recording offered. Tape and even wire recorders did
>not yet exist at the time. [...]

What about Herb Morrison's account of the Hindenburg crash in 1937?
IIRC, he happened to be there only because he was testing some form
of new portable recorder (Presto?) for use in broadcasting, which is
how the recording was made.  Obviously, neither he nor anyone else
expected the disaster to happen, and contrary to what others have
said since, it was not a live broadcast... point being, recording
technology did exist prior to the Cocoanut Grove fire.

That being said, I do agree with others here that, even if the
technology existed, very few stations made use of it during that
timeframe, and certainly not for "routine" broadcasts.

-Shawn Mamros
E-mail to: mamros@mit.edu