Re: Lowry Mays speaks

At 01:05 PM 2/24/2003 -0500, Donna Halper wrote:
> From today's edition of Newsblues (www.newsblues.com) , a quote from
> Lowry Mays, in an interview with Fortune magazine:
>
>"If anyone said we were in the radio business, it wouldn't be someone from
>our company," says Lowry Mays, CEO of Clear Channel. "We're not in the
>business of providing news and information. We're not in the business of
>providing well-researched music. We're simply in the business of selling
>our customers' products."
>
>Entire interview is
>at:  http://www.fortune.com/fortune/ceo/articles/0,15114,423802,00.html

"...They don't really see the point in government oversight. Randall argues
that the broadcast ownership rules dating back to the 1930s were never
necessary, and that consolidation occurred so quickly in radio because "it
was artificially depressed for so long." This is how the Mayses like to see
themselves: not as a destructive imperial army, but as a limber commando
unit liberating the airwaves. Adds Mark emphatically: "Let the free markets
reign."

One thing that's always amused me about the "free market" folks in radio is
that they don't want any gov't oversight when it comes to ownership, but
they demand FCC oversight when it comes to busting pirates.   To my way of
thinking, you can't have it both ways.  In the real world, if you have a
weak gov't oversight, you have weak gov't oversight period...you'll never
manage to tweak that agency's budget finely enough to have strong technical
oversight and weak ownership oversight.   Esp. since in a lot of cases
(more AM than FM) there is some overlap between the two.

Plus if you insist on free market so much, you shouldn't be surprised when
someone (pirates) takes that train of thought to its logical extreme.

Okay, putting aside the blatant left-wing politics that ramble through my
head...the article does highlight (somewhat unintentionally) how often it
takes someone who has no idea how to work "within the industry" to find a
way that really "works".   Whether you like what CC has done to the
industry or not...you can't deny that from a purely business standpoint
they've succeeded fabulously.   They did that by not thinking in the
traditional radio way at all, and by boiling it down to its core
essence.   I'd argue that a good hunk of the success stories in business
have come about that way (Google comes to mind).   Hmmm...I wonder if
there's any non-commercial stations that have "succeeded" because of that
way of thinking...