Re: Concert Disaster In Rhode Island

At 01:24 PM 2/21/2003 -0500, Donna Halper wrote:

>And as might be expected, WBZ Radio had reporters on this story
>immediately-- at the risk of seeming like I am shilling for them, they do
>a wonderful job of being proactive and getting reporters to the scene of
>breaking stories.  Now, on to other things.  Wouldn't it seem that after
>the Cocoanut Grove (492 dead) club owners would have learnt
>something?  Witnesses who escaped the Rhode Island tragedy said not only
>were there no sprinklers, but no fire extinguishers either.  And the club
>was very crowded.  Why does it take a tragedy to get people to focus on safety?

It's just like a hatchery: "Cheeep - cheep - cheep cheep cheep".    Club
owners are usually remarkably frugal (that's the kind way of putting it)
and will never spend a dollar when ninety-nine cents will suffice.   Hence
why you usually see clubs that have disgusting facilities; it's kept dark
in a club not just for "atmosphere" - it's so you can't see the peeling
paint, rusting support beams, and inches of grime on everything.  Also why
said facilities are rarely cleaned, and why the sound systems stink and the
sound quality is lousy (too many poorly-trained board ops).

And Cocoanut Grove was decades ago...people have SHORT memories.  Jeez, the
Chicago fire was not even a WEEK ago and apparently nobody learned from
that one, either.