Re: Change of ownership

At 01:18 AM 2/20/2003 -0500, Garrett Wollman wrote:
><<On Thu, 20 Feb 2003 01:07:01 -0500, "A. Joseph Ross"
><lawyer@attorneyross.com> said:
>
> > Something just occurred to me.  If I own a radio station, do I need
> > FCC permission to die, whereupon ownership and control of the
> > station would pass to my estate?
>
>No.  But your executor with respect to the broadcast license(s), must
>be qualified to control a license in the usual manner, and obviously
>the same must be true of any person you wish to inherit the license.
>I forget which form it is, but the FCC has a special form for
>``involuntary transfer of control'', used in the case of death,
>incapacity, foreclosure, and bankruptcy.
>
>-GAWollman

Just FYI - for Mr. Ross's case it'd be transfer of assignment...not
necessarily control.   It's a very legal technicality.   Assignment means
you're changing the ownership of the FCC license only.  Control means
you're selling the company that holds the license and the license is part
of the sale, and therefore technically has new owners even if the sold
company remains the same name.

Control issues are pretty meaningless at the small-scale level but when we
had mega-mergers going on left and right in the late 1990's that sort of
thing was a lot more relevant.

At least, I THINK that's how it all works...I'm not a lawyer, but I did
read into this crap pretty thoroughly not long ago when I had to fill out
WZBC's minor change application (when we replaced their antenna and had to
change the TPO).  I decided to bone up on a lot of AM/FM forms.