Re: Fun with rimshotters

At 08:35 PM 2/18/2003 -0800, Martin Waters wrote:
>Should WXKS-FM, Medford, be in your group of stations?

Didn't think of that one!

Kiss is one of only two true "Boston" signals (i.e. transmitting from the
Pru or Needham/Newton) not licensed to Boston that nevertheless has studios
in its COL. (WBOS's studios are in Dorchester, as are WROR's, and then
there's WJMN Boston with studios in Waltham, but I digress...)

In any case, (781)396-1430 is certainly a local call from Meffa, being a
real live Meffa phone number, and the public file is certainly at 99 Reveah
Beach Pahkway, so I'd have to say Kiss doesn't qualify as a rimshotter in
my book. (Likewise WXKS 1430 Everett; it certainly puts plenty of signal
over its studio <g>, and that 396 number is perfectly local to Everett.)

The other one in the WXKS category is WCRB Waltham (are they still legally
WCRB-FM? I forget...), and again, with studios at 750 South Street and a
Waltham phone number of (781)893-7080, they're playing by the books too.

And now I have to wonder...do the Waltham phone number of WJMN and the
Woburn phone number of WWZN (or the Quincy phone number of WROL) qualify as
"toll-free" from Boston for the FCC's purposes? My recollection from my own
Waltham days is that those were zoned, timed calls unless one had "Metro"
phone service. The same would then have been true of the Cambridge phone
numbers for WRCA, Waltham and WLYN, Lynn.

Now I wonder, too, whether WBNW, Concord (whose studios are apparently
somewhere in Newton these days) has a main studio that passes legal muster
for Concord...and whether WUMB has a toll-free number that's appropriately
listed in the Worcester phone book for WBPR, in the Newburyport book for
WNEF and in the Cape Cod book for WFPB and WFPB-FM...