Fun with rimshotters...

So I get this e-mail today from a marketing type at a Boston-market FM
station, which will remain nameless, asking me to stop referring to his
station in NERW as "WXXX Rimshot City" and instead to refer to it as "WXXX
Boston."

I replied, politely of course, telling him that I'd be happy to do so as
soon as the FCC changes his station's city of license. <g>

(I also explained that it's a style issue, and that I use legal calls and
city of license to identify every station mentioned in NERW, and not to
take it personally. Further, I added, I think the present allocations
system is a mess and would gladly support metro-area licensing if the FCC
were amenable. But I digress...)

Garrett and I were discussing the topic, and the question came up about
what sort of service WXXX would have to provide these days to Rimshot City,
anyway. The main studio can legally be - and is - within Boston city
limits, as is the public file. Ascertainment requirements (remember those?)
are pretty much a thing of the past, as is any meaningful public service
programming requirement.

That leaves us with just two items: the appropriate signal level over
Rimshot City (a requirement the station in question meets without breaking
a sweat) and a toll-free phone number in the Rimshot City phone book.

And so I ask those of you in the Rimshot Cities of eastern Massachusetts to
take a look at your most recent Verizon directories. There are, by my
count, four "Boston" FMs that could be my mystery station. If you're in one
of those cities - Framingham, Lawrence, Lowell or Worcester [*] - open up
that "W" section in the book (or the "Radio Stations and Broadcasting
Companies" category in the Yellow Pages, if you prefer) and share what's
listed for the appropriate station, won't you?

-s(tickler for FCC accuracy!)

[* - Yes, WBOS technically counts as a "rimshotter," too, but the Brookline
phone book pretty much *is* the Boston phone book, unless Verizon still
puts out that silly little community phone book, and in any case we know
that it's a toll-free call anyway from the Brookline exchanges to the
Greater Media studioplex in Dorchester. And WXRV and WPLM both maintain
actual studios in their actual communities of license, as does WFNX.]