Re: Should WNEW go country?

On Sat, 15 Feb 2003 18:22:12 -0500 Kevin Vahey wrote:

> Tomorrow (Feb 16th) the NY Times looks at the lack
> of country radio in
> NYC. Now given the past results of WHN and WYNY a
> station doing country
> could crack the Top 10 easily and simply make money.

Don't count on it.  IIRC WYNY's ratings when they were
still on 103.5 were *WELL* below the top 10

> So given the fact Infinity has a successful country
> outlet in Chicago
> WUSN why not fill a void that will be rewarded with
> decent ratings

Each market has its own uniqueness to it.  And
although country may be doing well in Chicago and many
other cities, historically the country music format
has always fared very poorly in NYC.  From what I know
of the general lifestyle of a good many people that
live in the NYC metro area, country music just does
not fit there.  As one person so eloquently put it to
me one time, "Its just like saying 'Honky-tonk
Brooklyn'  The two just don't go together."  And,
IMHO, I don't think any new country station in NYC
would be blessed with good ratings either

                              Matt Osborne
                              Poughkeepsie, NY