Tom Ellis makes an impeachable mistake (1980). (was Re: Tom Ellis departure 1982)

Needless to say, the Ellis/Jacobson pairing was doomed
almost from the start.  The real tip of the iceburg
was when, in 1980, Tom Ellis mentioned live on the air
during their 11:00 PM newscast that "congratulations
are in order" as Natalie was "expecting".  The look on
her face was classic!!  She was p**sed!! Apparently,
she did not want to announce the "visit from the
stork", until SHE was ready to do so. It became the
biggest story in Boston TV.  Not the fact that Tom
took it onto himself to announce the happy news, but
the fact that Natalie was going to have a baby.  By
the next morning, after Tom made the "boo-boo",
everybody and his mother wanted to know everything
about Natalie's pregnancy. We of course knew by then,
that Tom was on "borrowed time" at WCVB-TV.  Natalie
was Channel 5's Star Attraction.  Eventually,
Natalie's (then) husband, Chet Curtis, joined her at
the anchor desk, sometime later.  Tom joined the new
Channel 7 (WNEV-TV) some 18 months later.

Peter Q. George (K1XRB)
Whitman, Massachusetts

=====
Peter Q. George (K1XRB)