Cable was:Re: Other problems caused by Mt. Washington fire

<<On Tue, 11 Feb 2003 20:55:16 +0000 (/etc/localtime), Jeremy Mixer <mixer@zoso.net> said:

> Why is it that Adelphia in Bangor has channels 2, 5, and 7 on channels 3,
> 6, and 8? This never made any sense to me,

Actually, it makes a great deal of sense (and is required by law up in
Canada).  It is much cheaper for the cable company to move
channels out of the way of potential local ingress problems than it is
to actually go around to every pole and every home and rip out
substandard cabling.

Probably at some point in the distant past, that system actually
distributed a converter with outboard channel selector showing the VHF
channels as 2 through 12 rather than 3 through 13.

-GAWollman