Re: WHOM back on 94.9 at reduced power

--- Chuckigo@att.net wrote:
> Roy noted:
> >> WHOM *IS* back on 94.9 at reduced power. Not sure
> of the transmission
> location. <<
>
> Roy,
>
>    i spoke with WHOM's morning guy, Dean Rogers
> today.  after the usual dark
> humor about not being quite so literal with a
> "100,000 watt flame-thrower," he
> mentioned they'd be on 94.9 from "the Litchfield
> location."
>    they did pull off the 93.9 switch for this
> morning.  for the regular 93.9
> listeners, it must've come as a bit of shock.  my
> advice to Dean was to add
> some edge to the intros and backsells if still on
> 93.9 in the
> morning... "coming up, more X-treme Lionel Richie."
>     he also mentioned that 103.7 had a backup
> transmitter in a separate
> building at the top of the rock, and that they hoped
> to resume Mt.Washington
> transmission fairly soon.  but as far as 94.9 goes:
> it might be as late as May
> before any reconstruction can be undertaken. (that's
> just a presumption on the
> part of both of us; the description of the damage is
> indeed very devastating
> and extensive.)
>
> - -Chuck Igo

Chuck,

When I worked for the former (WZPK 103/7 Peak-FM) they
had two FM 5 Harris transmitters in the Armstrong
building next door to the now defunct Yankee building.
I discussed with a friend of mine earlier tonight,
they using one of those transmitters as a temporary
for 'HOM, but neither of us being engineering wizards
were sure of the load factor with the surviving
antenna or whether a transmission line can be
pressurized with the severe temperatures on the
summit.

As for extreme Lionel Richie, this is probably better
than the WBLM rock shelter. Can you imagine segging
into Alice In Chains? ;)

Roy Lawrence