Re: Storm cancellations on radio, TV

On Mon, 10 Feb 2003 00:15:23 +0000 Chuckigo@att.net writes:

> used to be that  licenses were granted to broadcasters with some sort
of minor caveat
> involving "the public."  radio as a public address system is EXACTLY
> what the medium is.

It's just that the public address system thing has out lived it's
usefulness.   Radio has become, as Dan Billings had alluded to, more of a
vehicle medium than anything else.  Looking at the crawl of closings on
the TV is, well - more interesting and involving (other information or
entertainment may be delivered at the same time) than hearing it on
radio.  It makes sense to put it on the web, as yes, some people will log
on to find out the information.  Having said that, I'll just mention that
on this past Friday morning, I learned that my own children didn't have
school from hearing it on WHYN-AM.

So there.

-Rick Kelly
www.northeastairchecks.com