Re: MOUNT WASHINGTON BURNS

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sean Smyth" <ssmyth@suscom.net>
To: "Dan Billings" <billings@suscom-maine.net>; <bri@bostonradio.org>
Sent: Sunday, February 09, 2003 9:03 PM
Subject: Re: MOUNT WASHINGTON BURNS

> I wonder why stations in these situations where calamities would make
> antenna/transmitter replacement a hardship wouldn't have primaries that
> aren't on the same tower/building as the primary. The World Trade Center
> towers are another parallel to this. Most stations also had their backups
on
> the top of the WTCs. Obviously, everything was wiped out with the
disaster.
> Out of the TV stations, only WCBS had a backup elsewhere.

Two thoughts:

1.  Your point is a good one in this situation because a long outage on the
top of the mountain was more likely to happen than what happened to the WTC.

2.  But a secondary site off the Mountain would only provide a small
fraction of the coverage area of the primary antenna.  There would be value
to this but how much?

-- Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine