How our moderator deals with dissent

Last Saturday morning, Kevin Vahey posted the following:

"The Space Shuttle broke up on re entry over Dallas   developing"

Garrett responded with the following:

"Awful, indeed, but hopefully adequately covered in other forums closer
to the situation.  Unless you have something on-charter to say on this
topic, please redirect your comments to a more appropriate list.

-GAWollman"

Dan Cole replied:

"I'm sure it is being covered in many other forums.  In case you hadn't
noticed, the discussion in this forum is focusing on the media coverage of
this tragedy....and to chastise someone for even bringing it up shows you
to be an insensitive clod, IMHO."

Tonight, I received the following e-mail from Dan Cole:

"Sad to report that I have apparently been tossed off the list by
Garrett.  Probably was that terse comment I made regarding the discussion
of the shuttle disaster.  At any rate my e-mail to the group is being
rejected at the source, apparently at the instruction of the
moderator.  It's a shame he didn't have the decency to inform me.
Too bad...it was nice while it lasted.
See ya around.  Say my goodbyes to the group, please...since I wasn't
afforded that
opportunity."

Garrett is free to run this list as he sees fit, but to ban someone for the
post above is pretty heavy handed, IMHO.

-- Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine