RE: Today's LTAR

Yes, yes. But little of that really explains the PARTICULAR connection between
trains and gospel music. I suppose that it would be appropriate for people who
grew up in a time like the latter half of the 19th century, when trans were the
primary conveyance on long trips, would expect to ride a train on the ultimate
long trip, that is, the trip to heaven. And I suppose that these people would
expect to be singing gospel music on that trip. If so, that would explain radio
program names such as Gospel Train and Gospel Express. OK, that makes sense,
but is it the REAL story?

I think the first gospel music I ever heard on the radio (or anywhere) was on a
program whose name DIDN'T allude to trains. The program, which aried for 15
minutes each day M-F at around 9:45 AM on the NBC Blue Network (later just the
Blue Network and still later ABC Radio) in the early and mid 1940s, was simply
called The Southernaires--the name of the featured singing group. I think the
group was Black, which, I guess would mean that the music genre was Black
gospel. The theme song was "The Weatherbeaten White-washed Church." Although
the melody was quite different, the thought was similar to that of "Come to the
Church in the Wildwood," which I believe is considered a hymn.

If I recall, there was enough similarity between the the gospel music of the
Southernaires and the secular music of the Ink Spots, who were popular at about
the same time, that every time I heard the Southernaires, I thought of the Ink
Spots.
--
dan.strassberg@att.net
617-558-4205