Re: Fenway (was Re: Lowell Sun on ATT Comcast Cuts)

Sven wrote:
> That thing should be restored and landmarked in my opinion.
>
> It's too bad a lot of these old ballparks have been either razed or gutted
> beyond the point of recognition.
>
> Witness what was done to the Yankee Stadium facade back in the 1970s.

Fenway (1912 opening, 1934 remodeling is what is really there now) is
definitely the oldest stadium in the league using either date. Yankee
Stadium opened in the '20s but as Sven said was totally revamped in the mid
'70s. Briggs/Tiger Stadium is still standing but hasn't seen a game in going
on four years now.

About 10 years ago, John Silber proposed that BU purchase Fenway once the
Red Sox were done with it. The plan, I believe, was to use Fenway as a
museum/BU sports complex and turn Nickerson Field into housing or possibly
make it the site for the arena they were proposing (which I guess is being
built or will be built at the old Armory site).

ObMedia: Nickerson Field has to have the most inadequate press facilities of
any "major" college I've seen in my life. I went to use the bathroom in the
media booth one time and heard mice squealing in the walls. The sightlines
for broadcasters are horrible, too.