Re: Globe on John Garabedian

Here's what I read into the John H beating RKO story.  (I'm just speculating
on some possible scenarios.)

Dick Summer is PD of WMEX....He makes it into a 'touchy feely'
station...gab, gab, gab..and the station starts to go into the toilet.

John H becomes PD and plays the HITS...and the station bounces back.

Now, as an aside, people always look to that year and that book as an
indicator that 'MEX musta been doing some GREAT programming.  Maybe...but
something inside wonders if WRKO was doing some HORRIBLE programming at that
time in order for MEX to make some inroads.

You can have a great team...and a great product.....but usually you need the
other guy to drop the ball and give you an opportunity to show yourself.

Within the last few years I heard a rko aircheck from summer 71....and they
were playing a lot of stuff I couldn't even recognize.

There was a "Big 30 Survey" that Shel was highlighting that looked pretty
psycodelic.  (More like "drugs" and less like "The Dating Game" set.)

My guess is that WRKO was drifting a bit of course....and got caught up in
some of the late 60's (early 70's) scene (hippies, etc.) that was pretty
prevalent.  And that was not the WRKO that we all knew.

Anyway...no facts or great insight.....just speculation.

JP