Re: CHRISTINA AGUILERA

--- Larry Weil <kc1ih@mac.com> wrote:

> I think you have it wrong about censorship. If the
> government tells
> your son what he can't watch, or tells MTV what it
> cannot broadcast,
> that's censorship.  If you tell your son what he can
> or cannot watch,
> that's parental guidance.

Jello Biafra, former lead singer of punk's Dead
Kennedys, crusaded against the use of the "Tipper
sticker" on albums after Tipper Gore and several
other senator's wives started the Parent's Music
Resource Center. The PMRC stated their case before
Congress (Tipper's hubby among them). Check out
Frank Zappa's "Porn Rock" to hear some cuts from that.

On one of his spoken word albums, Biafra (real name
Eric Boucher) said he'd rather have parental guidance,
not government censorship. "Now, Son,
you say you really enjoy this album. Well, I've
listened to it too, and let me tell you what I
_don't_ like about it."

Biafra's band got into legal trouble when the mother
of a girl who bought a Dead Kennedys album noticed
some H.R. Giger artwork on a poster inside the album;
artwork that she considered offensive. Mary Elizabeth
"Tipper" Gore helped to start the PMRC after she
became alarmed at a Prince song that one of her
children was listening to.

There was a VH-1 made for TV movie about the whole
PMRC case; Jason Priestly played a lawyer for the
record companies, who were fighting against having to
put "Tipper stickers" on albums. An amusing bit occurs
at the end of the movie; Jason's character has gotten
married and now has children of his own. He
stumbles into his son's bedroom, where the son is
listening to some rap music that he (Jason) considers
offensive.

In other words, after crusading for "free speech"
against "concerned parents", his character is now
himself a "concerned parent"...