Re: BBC cutting news jobs

----- Original Message -----
From: "Garrett Wollman" <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
To: "Dan Billings" <billings@suscom-maine.net>
Cc: <boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org>
Sent: Sunday, January 26, 2003 1:16 PM
Subject: Re: BBC cutting news jobs

> Oh, it most certainly does.  Look up ``mandatory licensing'' in 19 USC
> some time.

The government does not set the level of the fees.

> The licence fee is a fee charged for the right to receive and
> reproduce in one's home terrestrial, over-the-air television
> broadcasts.  It does not depend on the cost or value of the set.

But you pay the fee even if you never receive the over the air television
broadccasts.  You pay the fee even if you buy the TV to watch DVDs or
satellite broadcasts.

I pay a fee for HBO.  If I had to pay for HBO when I bought my set due to a
government mandate that would be a tax.

-- Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine