Re: BBC cutting news jobs

At 1:38 AM -0500 1/26/03, Sven Franklyn Weil wrote:

>On Sun, 26 Jan 2003, Garrett Wollman wrote:
>
>>  Only the BBC World Service is funded by politicians (an annual
>>  appropriation from the Foreign Office budget).
>
>And I really wish they would find the braniac resposnible for cutting back
>on Shortwave transmissions to North America and shoot him.

I think the "braniac" here is not someone actually affiliated with
the BBC, but I believe that Rupert Murdoch is behind this.  Murdoch
has big investments in digital transmissions in Europe, So it's in
his interest to eliminate shortwave broadcasting to make broadcasters
dependent on his digital satellites.  He may not be a politician in
the sense used here, but he sure has a lot of political influence.

--
Larry Weil
Lake Wobegone, NH