Re: Entercom imposes contract on AFTRA

On Fri, 24 Jan 2003 12:31:41 -0500 "Sean Smyth" <ssmyth@suscom.net>
writes:
> Dave Faneuf <tklaundry@juno.com> writes:
> > With all due respect for our brothers and sisters in publishing,
> we are
> > not talking about working at a suburban weekly newspaper here,  we
> are
> > talking about working in one of the biggest stations in one of the
> > largest markets in the country.   Double A ball vs Major League
> Ball
> > (ducking now)  ;-)

sean:
> Touche. But starting reporters at the Globe (13th in the country in
> terms of
> total circulation numbers) don't even make $40k a year when hired.
> That's a
> more fair comparison. I wouldn't be surprised if a reporter at the
> Herald
> (39th in circ) is beginning at $31-33k.

dave:
Starting pay at AFTRA stations (two that I am aware of) is less than the
top tier pay at WRKO as well.  WRKO IIRC actually has three tiers, first
year which is substantially less than the 43K being imposed, a second
tier that is a little higher then third year when you rise to the top
tier.   WODS has a 2 tier system that is also substantially less than the
top tier pay.  So if someone is hired at scale at WRKO they are not
making 43K either.

Sean;
> And the Globe's "staff correspondents" (working out of the suburban
> bureaus,
> without union protection I may add) start off at $30k or a tad
> below.

dave:
As far as I know "correspondents" for the Globe, Sun or other papers are
freelance writers,  and you are correct, they don't have union protection
which is something that the union needs to correct.
df