Re: Entercom imposes contract on AFTRA

Dave Faneuf writes:
>> As far as I know "correspondents" for the Globe, Sun or other papers
>> are freelance writers,  and you are correct, they don't have union
>> protection which is something that the union needs to correct.

In this case, the "staff correspondents" in the suburban bureaus for the
Globe are indeed staffers, but a new lower-level class of staffer that the
Globe created that doesn't provide any union protections. The Globe claims
these suburban reporters have a lighter workload than their in-town
counterparts, which is false. Several other papers (the Seattle Times and
Philadelphia Inquirer among them) have instituted this two-tier staff
system, and unions are livid.

I don't know of anywhere that regular freelance writers are uuion protected.