Re: Entercom imposes contract on AFTRA

First off, the bureau statistic for $44k was "average wage" not "household
income." http://www.mnwfc.org/lmi/rankings/rankfg16.htm

I guess I am not making my points clearly but Dave, I guess you don't read
the business pages or realize what is going on in America and Massachusetts
right now.

I work for a newspaper company. Two years ago, when the economy was so
called "good," many of us accepted pay freezes to keep our jobs and keep
others in our company from being laid off.
Many towns in this state are considering going to their teacher's unions and
admin staff and asking them to take pay freezes and cuts to keep layoffs
from occurring.
Why shouldn't we expect this in other industries?
Entercomm wants their employees to take pay cuts and freezes - just like
everyone else in the country is facing - to keep the maximum amount of
people employed and keep the company solvent. This is a no brainer. The
employees can take the freeze or cut, cut in benes, whatever, or they can be
easily replaced.

For years, all I have heard from corporate politicians and big media pundits
is that people have to deal with the free market and learn to compete.
Factories have been sent overseas for cheaper labor decimating towns and
destroying families. Don't matter, they said, you have to learn to compete.
Now, radio, TV, and other "professional" industries are being asked to take
pay and benefit cuts to keep the companies, towns, whatever, solvent - just
like everyone else has had to do, and NOW people are surprised? Get a grip.
The employees of Entercomm and others can adjust like the rest of us have
had to do or lose their  jobs. It sucks but it is as simple as that. Deal
with it.

Lastly, there are a whole slew of people in the radio industry who would
gladly work for $43,000. Damn, for years when I was shopping my demo to
stations, I would have accepted a lot less than that to do radio new. Hell,
I still do radio for free [!] and I make a fraction of that working as a
newspaper editor. I would gladly read radio news for $43,000.