RE: CNET Radio RIP

Howard Glazer writes:

>CNET Radio is still available on XM satellite radio, which,
>unfortunately, seems to be in similar financial straits.

I think XM will surive though. They are pretty much meeting their business
goals so far. I belive Sirius carries CNet radio, too. CNet is a natural
for satellite radio - a target audience of hi-tech early adopters.

The way I understand things, is that CNet is going to be dropped from XM,
also, as CNet will cease over-the-air broadcasting entirely as of January
31st. The CNet XM channel is merely a simulcast of CNet on KNEW and for
a time last year WBPS here in Boston.

According to various news articles on the web and various on-line discussion
groups, CNet will simply revert to twice daily tech news updates delivered
via
on demand streaming.

>Also, didn't CNET start out with an affiliate in the Bay Area? If so,
>when did that station drop the format?

It hasn't as of yet. CNet over-the-air broadcasts started on KNEW [910KHz]
in the SF Bay area. If I'm not mistaken, KENW's COL is San Jose. Aparently
CNet had plans to pick up affilates nationwide, in cities just as Boston
NY, and Washington DC. With the exception of the 6 or 7 months on WPBS here
in good 'ol Beantown none of the above came to fruition. As I just stated,
it's going of the air on KNEW at the end of the month.

>Even if the Internet bubble hadn't burst, I don't think an Internet talk
>format would have lasted long into the 2000s. Utilities have no sizzle.
>After all, who gets on the phone just to talk about hot new ways to use
>it?

As I pointed out in my original posting on this topic, it seems to me the
CNet radio format was something that would have worked during the go-go
years of 1990s, when it seemed like there was one new internet start-up
founded every day it seemed like, with freely flowing VC millions.

73, de Hakim (N1ZFF)